Monday, January 16, 2017

We have it pretty good

Last semester I took an English class and the topic for the semester was romance. We learned about the history of romance novels and how they played in the real world. In the old days when there were still monarchies, that's when marriages were generally arranged and people got married and then fell in love (if they were lucky) instead of the individualist modern romantic style of falling in love and then getting married. One of the reason I think this change occurred was not only the rise of democracy, but because of the rise of the role women; like receiving education, getting jobs, and of course, getting the ability to vote, therefore being in the know about current events and politics. I think that because women were participating in the same knowledge men were, it made them more equal in the sense that instead of a woman being only there for children, cleaning and cooking, they could also be a friend and someone you could have an intelligent conversation with. Having knowledge gives people more personality and knowing about things going on in the world allows for an opinion and I think it's these things that make up a persons being. So because females were developing personality, there was more for men to choose from than just colour of hair and eyes; there was more diversity between females and there could be something more attractive about one over the other. This creates a connection one could have to a person so instead of just getting married to continue on the family line, one could get married for companionship. So I think because women started to have substance and character, this creates a people who needed to link with those like them instead of just being assigned to someone for marriage.

I wanted to bring this up because a lot of times I wonder why women even fought for the kind of rights to be able to vote and work and, to put it bluntly: be equal with men. Sometimes school is hard and Netflix is not, and I wonder why I put myself through this. Because there's so many times I think to myself that I would be 100% fine cooking and cleaning and raising children for and with my husband, who would support us, because I love doing all those things and being with someone I love would make it all the easier. Being a stay at home mom really just seems like the best job. But I realize, that I wouldn't be much of a person if I didn't have education or have a reason to actively participate in the world. Being a stay at home in the 21st century is, what I think, the best job, but that's because it's not a plight that is given at birth and that must be done with some random dude, it's something I get to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment